The end of year survey was created by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner
- 2011 end of year survey
- 2012 end of year survey
- 2013 end of year survey
- 2014 end of year survey
- 2015 end of year survey
- 2016 end of year survey
- 2017 end of year survey
- 2018 end of year survey
- 2019 end of year survey
- 2020 end of year survey
- 2021 end of year survey
(Wow, I didn’t realize I’d been doing it every year for my whole blogging career!)
2022 Reading stats
Number of books read (total): 103
Number of re-reads: 21
Number of DNFs: 29
Number of audiobooks: 76
Most read genre: High Fantasy (every single year lol)
Average rating: 3.7
Best in Books
As always, I’m excluding re-reads!
1. Best book you read all year?
2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn’t?
The Fifth Season. I was ready for it to rock my socks off and it ended up being really meh for me :(
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Good: Song of Silver, Flame Like Night (Didn’t expect to love it as much as I did!)
Bad: Kingdom of the Cursed (I loved the first book and HATED this one!)
4. Book you “pushed” the most people to read?
Always the Lotus War trilogy by Jay Kristoff! This answer will never change!
5. Best series you started? Best sequel of the year? Best series ender?
Series: Iron Widow, The Winnowing Flame
Series ender: Thronebreakers
6. Favorite new author you discovered?
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Cultish by Amanda Montell. It was a book club pick and I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Iron Widow or Hollow Places!
9. Book you read that you are most likely to re-read in the next year?
Iron Widow. I was planning on listening to the audio in the past month and didn’t get to it, so it will be an early 2023 read!
*side note: I said Cerulean Sea or Empire of the Vampire last year and I didn’t re-read either of them oops
10. Favorite cover of a book you read this year?
Kingdom of the Cursed -__-
11. Most memorable character of the year?
Death from Belladonna
12. Most beautifully written book you read?
The Girl Who Fell Beneath the Sea
13. Most thought-provoking / life-changing book you read?
This is always hard for me, as I don’t usually read those kinds of books. I guess the closest to that would be Cultish, it was eye opening for sure
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL this year to finally read?
15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read?
I was terrible this year and didn’t save any quotes >.<
16. Shortest & longest book you read?
Shortest: A Wizard of Earthsea (183 pages)
Longest: Dark Age (757 pages)
17. Book that shocked you the most?
Iron Widow. THAT ENDING!!! I was SHOOK!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Zetian & Shimin from Iron Widow
19. Favorite non-romantic relationship of the year?
Dani and Shazam from the Fever series
20. Favorite book you read from an author you’ve read previously?
Yellowfang’s Secret by Erin Hunter
21. Best book you read that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else/peer pressure/bookstagram:
I actually don’t think I had a good one, lol. I read One Dark Window based on peer pressure and despised it oops
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read?
Death from Belladonna *swoons*
23. Best 2022 debut you read?
The Girl Who Fell Beneath the Sea
24. Best worldbuilding/most vivid setting you read?
Song of Silver, Flame Like Night!
25. Book that put a smile on your face/was the most fun to read?
Crownchasers!! The MC is hilarious and the narrator’s sarcasm for her is *chef’s kiss*
26. Book that made you cry (or nearly cry)?
Yellowfang’s Secret, Song of Silver
27. Hidden gem of the year?
The Ninth Rain
28. Book that crushed your soul?
Yellowfang’s Secret! My heart T.T
29. Most unique book you read?
Iron Widow, Hollow Places, Twisted Ones, and Ninth Rain were all super unique!
30. Book that made you the most angry (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Kingdom of the Cursed and it was absolutely because I didn’t like it lmao! WORST sequel EVER.
Blogging & bookish life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered?
I didn’t look at any blogs this year :(
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
Best platonic relationships part 2
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
YALLfest!!! I was so happy to be back after missing two years in a row!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life?
Scoring ARCs of Silver in the Bone and Song of Silver, Flame Like Night at YALLfest!
7. Most popular post on your blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
I’m pretty sure I didn’t top like 1-2 comments on anything this year. I don’t ever have engagement anymore because I haven’t been putting the effort into it.
8. Post you wished got a little more love?
I suppose my 5 star books posts
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I don’t have one for this, either :(
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of the year?
I did!! My goal was 100 books and I made it!
1. One book you didn’t get to last year but will be your #1 priority this year?
Silver in the Bone
2. Book release you are most anticipating (non-debut)?
A House With Good Bones by T. Kingfisher
The Saint of Bright Doors too because it’s giving me major Ten Thousand Doors vibes!
3. 2023 debut you are most anticipating?
Briardark by S.A. Harlan
4. Series ending/sequel you are most anticipating?
Light Bringer (Red Rising) and Heavenly Tyrant (Iron Widow)
5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging life?
I really want to have zero books on my review shelves on Netgalley and Edelweiss!
6. A 2023 release you’ve already read & recommend to everyone:
Song of Silver, Flame Like Night!
A closer look at my 2022 stats
Pie charts made with Canva!
I had SO MANY DNFS!! Last year I only had 5, lmao. (The year before that I had 29 as well, actually!) It was pretty much split right down the middle with < 3 stars and > 3 stars before I put the DNFs in, so half of the books I read this year were 3 stars or less. Yikes. And look at how many 2 stars I had! I read sooo many mediocre books this year. The only reason I have so many 5 stars is because of my re-reads!
I still read a whopping amount of fantasy this year, but I’m actually really pleased with how much I branched out! Usually my sci-fi and fantasy counts for 90% of my reading. Look at how diverse my pie wedges are!! Almost 25% are non SFF, which is a lot for me. (The larger dark blue wedge is mystery/thriller and the tiny one that’s not labeled is magical realism. I have no idea why it didn’t label them.)
Sooo many audiobooks!! Audio is the bulk of my reading now, because I listen daily at work and can get through 2-3 books a week because I listen at 1.6x-2x speed. I don’t have much time for physical reading anymore, sadly. I’m still doing really well at not accepting many review obligations so my ARCs/eARCs were fairly low. All of the paper ARCs were from YALLfest! It’s freeing not to have as many obligations and to just be able to read what I want to.
Just like last year, I didn’t read any anthologies this year; and only two novellas. Sequels are still fairly low, too, because I suck at series >.<
Year published stats
I had a decent mix of old and new again this year!
Last year I was proud that more than half of the books I read were 400+ pages. Now I’m back to being a scaredy cat of big books XD
What do your reading stats look like for the year? Are there any books on my list that you agree or disagree with?