The end of year survey was created by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner
- 2011 end of year survey
- 2012 end of year survey
- 2013 end of year survey
- 2014 end of year survey
- 2015 end of year survey
- 2016 end of year survey
- 2017 end of year survey
- 2018 end of year survey
(Wow, I didn’t realize I’d been doing it every year for my whole blogging career!)
2019 Reading stats
Number of books read: 69
Number of re-reads: 12
Number of DNFs: 5
Number of audiobooks: 11
Most read genre: High Fantasy
Best in Books
As always, I’m excluding re-reads!
1. Best book you read all year?
This is REALLY hard for me, as I’ve got a couple of Jay Kristoff books in there, but I actually think I’m gonna have to go with Stain by A.G. Howard, it BLEW me away! Hard on its heels are Aurora Rising, Darkdawn, and Dark Age!
2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn’t?
Soul of the Sword by Julie Kagawa. I have literally NEVER been disappointed by Julie book and they’ve always been 5 stars, but this one was maybe a solid 3 stars =/
City of Brass is another one, the hype is UNREAL but I ended up being disappointed.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
The Warriors series! I went in expecting a fluffy series about kitties and it ended up being like Game of Thrones with cats lol!
4. Book you “pushed” the most people to read this year?
Always the Lotus War trilogy!
5. Best series you started? Best sequel of the year? Best series ender?
Sequel: Dark Age
Series ender: Darkdawn
6. Favorite new author you discovered?
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
The Deceivers by Kristen Simmons
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Probably Dark Age!
9. Book you read this year that you are most likely to re-read next year?
Stain or Aurora Rising
*side note: I said LIFEL1K3 last year and I actually DID re-read it!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read this year?
Probably Fireborne, although the story inside wasn’t gorgeous like the cover *sighs*
11. Most memorable character of the year?
Ephraim from Dark Age! I thought I hated him in Iron Gold but I ended up getting super attached to him. I love him!
12. Most beautifully written book read this year?
13. Most thought-provoking / life-changing book of the year?
This is terrible, but I actually don’t think I have one >.<
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL this year to finally read?
The Warriors series
15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read?
“To live in the hearts we leave behind is to never die.”
-Jay Kristoff, Darkdawn
“Life is meant to be felt. Else why live? Valleys make the mountains.”
-Pierce Brown, Dark Age
16. Shortest & longest book you read?
Shortest: Into the Wild (272 pages)
Longest: Priory of the Orange Tree (827 pages)
17. Book that shocked you the most?
Probably Dark Age
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Hmm probably Ash & Mia!
19. Favorite non-romantic relationship of the year?
Ephraim & Volga!
20. Favorite book you read this year from an author you’ve read previously?
Three-way tie between Aurora Rising, Dark Age, and Darkdawn!
21. Best book you read this year that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else/peer pressure/bookstagram:
Serpent & Dove! So deserving of the hype!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read?
Kal from Aurora Rising
23. Best 2019 debut you read?
Serpent & Dove
24. Best worldbuilding/most vivid setting you read this year?
Stain! SO VIVID!
25. Book that put a smile on your face/was the most fun to read?
Serpent & Dove! I actually don’t remember the last time I had so much fun reading a book. It was laugh out loud funny!
26. Book that made you cry (or nearly cry)?
Dark Age, Darkdawn, and several books in the Warriors series all made me ugly cry!
27. Hidden gem of the year?
Stain, hands down! I wish more people knew about it!
28. Book that crushed your soul?
29. Most unique book you read?
30. Book that made you the most angry (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Three Dark Crowns – and in this case, yes it meant I didn’t like it. The book was terrible to begin with but the romance was rage inducing!
Blogging & bookish life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered this year?
I don’t think I found any new ones :(
2. Favorite review that you wrote?
Three Dark Crowns (you know I love writing the ranty ones lol)
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life?
Going to the Aurora Rising launch and seeing Jay’s reaction to my Eve funko I made for him!
7. Most popular post this year on your blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
2020 Reading Bingo
8. Post you wished got a little more love?
Books that made me ugly cry
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Book blogger spreadsheet by Reader Voracious! I still use Crini’s spreadsheet to track my books read because I like the format better (and also because I’m used to it), but I love Kal’s for tracking my blog posts and ARCs received!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I completed my Goodreads challenge! That’s about it lol!
1. One book you didn’t get to this year but will be your #1 priority next year?
Goddess in the Machine
2. Book you are most anticipating next year (non-debut)?
Empire of the Vampire by Jay Kristoff
3. 2020 debut you are most anticipating?
Star Daughter by Shveta Thakrar
4. Series ending/sequel you are most anticipating next year?
Aurora Burning and TRUEL1F3
5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging life next year?
Read 100 books!
6. A 2020 release you’ve already read & recommend to everyone:
All the Stars & Teeth
A closer look at my 2019 stats
Pie charts made with Canva!
I had a TON of 5 star books this year because I re-read so many favorites!
Me: I’m going to branch out and read different genres this year!
Also me: *reads basically nothing but fantasy and sci-fi*
I had a surprisingly low number of ARCs this year. I’ve been doing good about not accepting many review copies or downloading excessively on EW & NG!
I didn’t read ANY novellas or anthologies this year. Definitely want to try to do more of them next year!
Year published stats
The Warriors series really threw off my stats this year because I read so many of them, oops.
I’m surpised by how many books I read over 500 pages! Typically big books intimidate me and I tend to gravitate toward the 300-400 pages books.
What do your reading stats look like for the year? Are there any books on my list that you agree or disagree with?