The end of year survey was created by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner
- 2011 end of year survey
- 2012 end of year survey
- 2013 end of year survey
- 2014 end of year survey
- 2015 end of year survey
- 2016 end of year survey
- 2017 end of year survey
(Wow, I didn’t realize I’d been doing it every year for my whole blogging career!)
2018 Reading stats
Number of books read: 61
Number of re-reads: 8
Number of DNFs: 14
Most read genre: High Fantasy
Best in Books
I’m going to exclude my re-reads in all of these, otherwise Stormdancer and Red Rising would win almost everything XD
1. Best book you read all year?
Probably a tie between LIFEL1K3 and Muse of Nightmares!
2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn’t?
Empress of All Seasons. I am a HUGE fan of Asian Fantasy, so I was really looking forward to this one (and sure I was going to like it). Womp womp.
Storm Crow was another one – that was my most anticipated 2019 debut and it fell way short for me :(
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Heretics Anonymous! I would never have looked at this book twice. Not only do I not do contemp, but I also don’t do anything religious. But it was SO FUNNY!
4. Book you “pushed” the most people to read this year?
Always the Lotus War!
5. Best series you started? Best sequel of the year? Best series ender?
Series: This Mortal Coil
Sequel: Muse of Nightmares
Series ender: Tie between Obsidio and Inferno
6. Favorite new author you discovered?
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
9. Book you read this year that you are most likely to re-read next year?
10. Favorite cover of a book you read this year?
The Wicked Deep! It’s gorgeous under the cover too
11. Most memorable character of the year?
Hmm, I have a few! Lemon Fresh from LIFEL1K3, Wren from Girls of Paper & Fire, River from Even the Darkest Stars, and Nathaniel & Silas from Sorcery of Thorns
12. Most beautifully written book read this year?
Muse of Nightmares!!
13. Most thought-provoking / life-changing book of the year?
The Hate U Give
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL this year to finally read?
This Mortal Coil!
15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read?
“Wishes don’t just come true. They’re only the target you paint around what you want. You still have to hit the bullseye yourself.”
-Laini Taylor, Muse of Nightmares
16. Shortest & longest book you read?
Shortest: Saga vol. 8 (146 pages)
Longest: Obsidio (615 pages)
17. Book that shocked you the most?
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Elisabeth & Nathaniel from Sorcery of Thorns
19. Favorite non-romantic relationship of the year?
Spensa & M-Bot from Skyward, Silas & Nathaniel from Sorcery of Thorns
20. Favorite book you read this year from an author you’ve read previously?
Muse of Nightmares & LIFEL1K3
21. Best book you read this year that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else/peer pressure/bookstagram:
Sadie by Courtney Summers. And it was so good!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read?
Nathaniel from Sorcery of Thorns
23. Best 2018 debut you read?
Girls of Paper & Fire
24. Best worldbuilding/most vivid setting you read this year?
Even the Darkest Stars or Sorcery of Thorns
25. Book that put a smile on your face/was the most fun to read?
26. Book that made you cry (or nearly cry)?
LIFEL1K3, Muse of Nightmares, Sorcery of Thorns
27. Hidden gem of the year?
Sanctuary by Caryn Lix
28. Book that crushed your soul?
LIFEL1K3, and of course my Lotus War re-read
29. Most unique book you read?
This Mortal Coil
30. Book that made you the most angry (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Ship of Smoke & Steel, and in this case yes it does mean I didn’t like it lol
Blogging & bookish life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered this year?
Girl in the Pages
2. Favorite review that you wrote?
Hmm, maybe Beyond the Red? Usually meh books are super hard to write decent reviews for
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
5 Star Books of 2018
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life?
Getting to go to YALLfest with my bookstabestie, Christy (@cbookaddiction)!
7. Most popular post this year on your blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
I’m Bringing Back my Reading Bingo Challenge for 2018!
8. Post you wished got a little more love?
My Journey Toward a Healthier Lifestyle
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
A TBR cart!!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Yes! My goal was to read 75 books and I did!
1. One book you didn’t get to this year but will be your #1 priority next year?
Hades’ Daughter by Sara Douglass
2. Book you are most anticipating next year (non-debut)?
Aurora Rising by Jay Kristoff & Amie Kaufman
3. 2019 debut you are most anticipating?
We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal
4. Series ending/sequel you are most anticipating next year?
Darkdawn by Jay Kristoff
5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging life next year?
Read 100 books!
6. A 2019 release you’ve already read & recommend to everyone:
Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson!
A closer look at my 2018 stats
Pie charts made with Canva!
I’ve DNFed a ton of books this year, but because of that my overall enjoyment was a lot higher! Look at all those 4 and 5 star books!
SO MUCH FANTASY AHHH.
Me: I’m going to branch out and read different genres this year!
Look at me, being terrible at sequels again. Oops.
Year published stats
SO MANY new releases! What can I say, I get easily distracted by shiny things.
I’m actually quite shocked by how many books I read over 500 pages! Typically big books intimidate me and I tend to gravitate toward the 300-400 pages books.
Leave a Reply