A few years ago I saw Cristina @ Girl in the Pages post about her 5 star reading drought (which was originally inspired by Lauren @ Bookmark Lit’s post here), and I thought it was such a great post, so I did one of my own! It was really interesting to see what me 5 star reads looked like for last year, so I’ve been doing it ever since!
Past 5 star books posts
5 star books of 2022
This number is usually low since I’m a picky rater. I actually had 22 in total (out of 103 books finished), but 18 of them were re-reads, so that means I only had FOUR new 5 star books this year. This is the same amount I had last year, which was the lowest I’d ever had.
If you don’t count re-reads, my 5 star books only account for 4% of what I read all year. Last year it was 8%. (To be fair, I read less books last year so that’s why it was higher.)
New 5 star reads
5 star Re-reads
I am a huge fan of re-reading old faves via audio! I can’t handle the Stormdancer narration, but that was the only one that wasn’t an audiobook.
Almost 5 star reads
Here’s the ones that came super close, but fell just a tad short, so I gave them 4.5 stars instead!
5 star predictions from last year
Books I knew would be 5 stars
I didn’t have any for this year because Jay didn’t have any 2022 releases :(
Books I hoped would be 5 stars
- Jade City by Fonda Lee – DNF
- The Paths Between Stars by Amira K. Makansi – DNF
- Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao – ★★★★★
- Dark Theory by Wick Welker – started to read, lost interest
- Empire of Silence by Christopher Ruocchio – DNF
- The Genesis War by Akemi Dawn Bowman – ★★★½
- Under the Whispering Door by T.J. Klune – ★★★½
- Sundial by Catriona Ward – DNF
- Elder Race by Adrian Tchaikovsky – still haven’t read
- The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin – ★★
- The Sound of Stars by Alechia Dow – ★★★
- The Beast Hunters by Christer Lende – still haven’t read
Welp. 1/12 isn’t bad, right? Right?! Lol wowww I fail.
5 star predictions for 2023
It’s SO hard for me to predict which books I’m going to love (as you can see above, heh), because I just never know. Sometimes I expect to love something, and don’t; sometimes I don’t think I’ll like something at all and I end up loving it. I have high hopes for these, though!
Books I know will be 5 stars
If Red God (RR #7) and Empire of the Vampire #2 do end up being released in 2023 (I doubt it), they’re on this list too!
Books I hope will be 5 stars
How many 5 star reads did you have this year?