Books I got this week
From the YA Beach Bash (all signed):
- Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis
- Breaking Point by Kristen Simmons
- The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa
- Avalon by Mindee Arnett
- Alienated by Melissa Landers
- Tons of signed swag including a signed bookplate of TALON! Ahhhh!!! (The Avalon poster has a Ship Configuration section, how cool is that?!)
I also bought generic business cards for my Etsy shop as well as a tote bag with the Novel Heartbeat logo! (Julie was the first to sign it! :D) I got them both through Vistaprint – the tote was $11 + shipping and I got 500 business cards for $3 because they were running a promotion to get the first 250 for free. Woot! (If anyone is willing to pass some out I would totally send you some! I have PLENTY!)
Posts on the blog:
- [11 Aug] The Beat the Heat Readathon Kicks off!
- [13 Aug] Novel Thoughts: In Which I Fail at All 2014 Challenges
- [14 Aug] Life of a Blogger: Favorite Restaurants
- [15 Aug] BtH Readathon Mini Challenge: Guess That Book Title!
- [17 Aug] Heartbeat Weekly (27): YA Beach Bash & Giveaway!
What I’ve been up to this week:
At work on Tuesday someone brought in a 4 week old kitten that was thrown out of a fucking moving vehicle. He has two ruptured corneas and needs surgery asap. I was very upset over this little kitten (I want him SO badly!) and my heart seriously hurts for him that someone would do something so terrible =/
I want to thank everyone who donated to help him – we raised over $500 overnight! You guys seriously rock!! <3
YA Beach Bash
Yesterday I drove down to Cinci to go to this event and it was awesome! Stephanie Huff was there too (this is the second time I’ve met her)!
From left to right: Kristen Simmons, Mindy McGinnis, Mindee Arnett, Melissa Landers, Saundra Mitchell (aka Jessa Holbrook aka Alex Mallory…idk don’t ask me), and last but certainly not least, JULIE KAGAWA!!
This is the THIRD time I’ve seen Julie! I saw her post a picture of the Talon bookplates on Facebook, and was totally salivating over them because I wanted one, then realized that she was saying she was going to be in Cinci! I was stoked to see her again!!!
The discussion panel lasted more than an hour (I was starting to get really fidgety by the end of it), but it was cool. I really liked Mindy McGinnis, she’s hilarious! She’s kind of sarcastic, so I guess I saw a kindred spirit hehee ;)
Interesting things I learned in the panel:
- Mindy McGinnis wrote her latest book (a gothic novel set in an asylum about lobotomies…um, winning?!) in the span of two weeks! They gave her a deadline and she thought it was the copy/edit deadline, but as it turns out it was the finished product deadline, so she had to time crunch!
- In the talk of finding balance between writing and life, Mindee Arnett admitted to getting so involved in her work that her family and home life suffered, resulting in her slipping into a very dark place. She said that this happened while she was writing Polaris, so the novel is especially dark because of it.
- While discussing covers and whether or not they have a say in them (they don’t), Julie explained that the cover change her Blood of Eden series underwent was due to controversy over the girl on the Immortal Rules cover being white, when her MC, Allie, was Japanese.
- Julie had to put off The Forever Song and rush writing Talon because it got optioned for film!
- When asked why they chose the genre(s) they wrote: Kristen said because it’s what she likes to read, Mindy said because she’s a YA librarian, sadly I can’t remember what Mindee said, Melissa said she wrote the book first and then chose the placement, Saundra said she pretty much did the same thing as Melissa, and Julie (with the best answer, of course) simply said because she likes hot boys with swords. *giggles*
- Almost all of them have a quota of 1,000 words per day. Julie’s is 1,500.
- Not a Drop to Drink is now optioned for film!!
- Mindy researched for a year and a half for the gothic novel I mentioned above.
After the signing I went to lunch with Stephanie at Potbelly’s. Yum!
There will be FOUR winners!
Prize pack #1:
Signed copy of While You’re Away by Jessa Holbrook (Saundra Mitchell) and assorted swag (not signed)
Prize pack #2:
3rd & 4th place:
- As this is out of my own pocket, you must be following this blog via Bloglovin’ or email to enter.
- Unfortunately, contest is open to US participants only. I just can’t afford INT shipping, I’m sorry :(
- Please read the Rafflecopter directions carefully. Faked entries will be deleted.
- After the giveaway is over, I will notify the winner by email and they will have 48 hours to respond or another winner will be chosen.