Books I got this week
- The Deep by Nick Cutter (Edelweiss)
From the library:
- Fiendish by Brenna Yovanoff
- Mortal Danger by Anne Aguirre
- Illusive by Emily Lloyd-Jones
- Free to Fall by Lauren Miller
It has been FOREVER since I got a book from the library! And I was the first to get these copies, so they’re all shiny and new :)
Posts on the blog:
- [25 Aug] Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini ★★½
- [28 Aug] Life of a Blogger: Fears
- [29 Aug] Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White ★★★
- [31 Aug] Heartbeat Weekly (29): Health and Facebook
I wanted to thank everyone who gave their input on my Novel Thoughts: Are Facebook pages actually useful? post. I got a lot of great feedback on that! The conclusion I’ve drawn from the discussion is:
Facebook pages are pretty pointless, but there’s no sense in deleting it since I have it already. I just don’t need to invest much time and effort in it because the reach is pitiful. I have decided to keep it, but I probably won’t do anything with it anymore.
Also, it’s the last day of the Beat the Heat Readathon! Look for a wrap up post tomorrow instead of my usual review. We’re sad to see it end, but it will be back next year :)
What I’ve been up to this week:
Working, trying to make time for reading, and the same old stuff.
However, I did decide that I need to take charge of my personal health and start taking better care of myself. I woke up at 4:30 am on Thursday and was wide awake, so I got up and went to the gym for the first time in about 4 months. I was doing really well at the beginning of the year – eating better, going to the gym a couple times a week, and I quit drinking Dew completely – but since the house hunting and moving in and all that, I’ve let myself slip. And I can seriously tell in the way my clothes fit. I had actually started losing inches there for a while in April after my efforts for the first few months. Now I have trouble fitting into any of my clothes, and it’s not a good feeling. While sitting the other day, I looked down and realized…I look pregnant. And I most certainly am not. I am not okay with this! I need to get rid of this awful belly.
I have also been getting a lot of headaches, resulting in nausea and discomfort. I feel crappy all the time, I’m always tired, and my mood and mental health aren’t the greatest these days. I need to do something about it.
My tentative health plan
(I say tentative because I hate making rules and obligations for myself. That makes me not want to follow through)
- Get back to healthier eating. Not a diet, hell no. But I want to go back to eating carrots with ranch, applesauce, and yogurt as snacks instead of fatty snack foods. I want to cut out fast food, because I’ve been bad about that lately. It’s just convenient. I need to plan my work lunches ahead and make sure they’re all packed so I don’t forget or get lazy and have to resort to fast food.
- Get back to the gym. I want to go 2 days a week minimum, preferably 3 days.
- Get my eyes checked. I know my vision is getting worse and worse, and I haven’t been to the eye doctor since I was probably 13 or 14. I know I need glasses, and that’s been making me put it off. I don’t want to pay for it, and I don’t want the hassle, but I’m 95% sure that’s what’s causing my headaches and nausea.
- Get a physical. Again, something I haven’t done since I was 13. I want to make sure there’s no problems I’m unaware of. I also want to talk to the doctor about my constant fatigue.
- Find a therapist. I’m not comfortable admitting this to the general public, but I need one. I have a lot of issues and I’m sick of feeling angry and depressed all the time. I might need anxiety meds or something, too.
- Go to the damn dentist. I have a very huge fear of dentists because of how bad my teeth are. The last time I went was a nightmare, and it scared me away from going back. But I need to do something about it. I don’t want ugly teeth on my wedding date, and time is ticking away. I need to figure out the logistics of getting braces, or dental surgery, or whatever the hell I have to get to fix my awful smile.
- See a chiropractor. I’ve been having back problems on and off for months, and I think it’s just a muscle but it causes a lot of discomfort.
Overall, I just want to make some changes for a healthier, happier life.
Wow, kudos to you for taking charge of your health! We can motivate each other this fall. I was doing absolutely fantastic at losing all the post-pregnancy weight, but my yoga class took a hiatus this summer, and it’s been too hot to even go walking in the evening like we used to. So, I’m not feeling my best either, but I’m going back to yoga next week and can’t WAIT to start looking AND feeling better! Gooooooooooooooo us!
I have so much sympathy for this post, and I’ll be trying to take control of my health too! Like you I’ve gotten too reliant on convenience food and my wardrobe is suffering for it. I’ve also booked an appointment for the dentist next week even though I’m terrified of dentists (which of course makes everything worse because then I put off going and when I finally get there it’s worse than if I’d gone sooner!)
Good luck for the first week of back on track, hopefully you, Melissa and I will all start feeling better soon!
Gosh you sound so much like me it’s scary…
I need to start eating healthier as well. I rely on fast food wayyy too much and don’t even have a gym close by that I can go to. I make too many excuses because I’m just so unmotivated…
I was having problems with headaches until I got glasses last year. It’s been a major help and they’re really not all that bad. ;)
I also need to find a therapist so I can quit feeling the way I do. I used to be fun and outgoing. Now I’m just depressed, angry, and nervous all the time. It’s been getting worse and worse lately…
Not to mention I’ve been putting off going to the chiropractor. My shoulder/neck has been out of whack for a couple years now.
Let me know if you ever need someone to talk to. We can motivate each other. :)
You should come and join us at #BookBlogWalkers. The Felicia at Geeky Bloggers Book Blog hosts it. We basically just check in with each other and encourage each other to keep up the work. There is no real rules for how to set your goals. It has really helped me keep me motivated. I hope you can join us. The more the merrier!
That’s really amazing that you are taking control of your life again! I know you can do it!