Books I got this week
From the publisher:
This was such a cool press package!! It came in this little coffin, and the book was buried in soil. Real, actual soil! I’m so using this as a planter ;) Thank you Big Honcho Media!!!
Thank you Tor!
- Talon by Julie Kagawa, ARC (#booksfortrade)
Thank you so much to Melissa, who was kind enough to trade with me! I’ve been wanting to add an ARC of Talon to my Julie collection for some time now!
- Everland by Wendy Spinale
- Everland temporary tattoos
- Steampunk nail wraps from Espionage Cosmetics
- Skeleton key necklace from Crystal Compass Design
- Metal Wings Pin from Elope Inc.
- Infernal Devices inspired ring by Sparks Emporium
- Art print tribute to J.M. Barrie by Creative Daffodil
Posts on the blog:
What I’ve been up to this week:
I had the week from hell. I ended up getting fired Wednesday. It’s the first time I’ve EVER been unemployed since I started working 9 years ago, and the first time I’ve ever been fired. I had a disagreement with the manager in which I tried to explain to her that I’ve been feeling fed up because of the way she treats people and handles things, and she made it all about how I have an “attitude problem.” Then I made the mistake of telling her I was looking for another job. I closed two days last week with no issue, then all of the sudden Wednesday she was acting all weird. Gave me the silent treatment all day (no seriously, it was the most awkward day of my life, it felt like we were back in High School *eye roll*), then pulled me in the office and told me she didn’t trust me to close (which is completely fucking ridiculous considering I’d already done it twice since our disagreement), and told me not to bother coming back. Her reasoning was that I said I was leaving anyway (which I didn’t, I said I’d be looking for a job but I’d give her two weeks’ notice either way) and that two weeks wasn’t enough to get someone in (which makes NO sense because she has even less than that after firing me on the spot). It’s all a bunch of bullshit, really. But you know what? That’s fine, because if she really thinks that of me after almost two years, then a) she doesn’t know me AT ALL (it’s insulting, actually), and b) I don’t belong there anyway. I’m really freaked out and terrified about being unemployed because I have a mortgage to pay. But, I’m trying to stay positive and look at the silver lining in the situation, which is: It gave me the push I needed to get away from a place that was making me absolutely miserable. One door closes, another door opens. Now I have the opportunity to find something that will make me happy, somewhere that I can have the opportunity to learn and grow (because it was NEVER going to happen in that place).
I have a temporary job for this week at a factory through a friend, and a working interview on Wednesday with a promising groomer nearby. So keep your fingers crossed for me! I’m not panicking yet, because as long as I can make a decent income with some BS job for a little while until I find what I truly want to do (grooming), even if I have to bust some ass to make a bunch of dragons and sell stuff in my Etsy shop or something, I will make it. I CAN DO THIS. And I’ll be all the stronger because of it. So good riddance :)
Adventures on Bookstagram
May Wrap Up
- My Lady Jane by Brodi Ashton/Jodi Meadows/Cynthia Hand – ★★★★
- When I Wake by Elizabeth Norris – ★★★
- The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Stiefvater – ★★★★½
- The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2) by Maggie Stiefvater – ★★★★½
- And I Darken (The Conqueror’s Saga #1) by Kiersten White – DNF
- Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle #3) by Maggie Stiefvater – ★★★★½
Average rating: 3.41 (better than last month!)
Pages read: 2,318 (700 pgs more than last month)
Favorite book of May: The Raven Boys
- The King Slayer by Virginia Boecker (for review, currently reading)
- The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater
- The Shadow Hour by Melissa Grey (blog tour)
- Titans by Victoria Scott
- The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi (buddy read?)
What’s in your mailbox, loverlies? Link me up!