This topic was inspired by Angelfall, which had a name that annoyed me: Raffe. It was meant to be pronounced “rah-fee” (as in, short for Raphael), but every time I saw it my brain automatically read it as”rafe” (rhyming with waif). It bugged the crap out of me!! I had to make an actual effort to pronounce it the correct way, and it made my eye twitch.
With some books, it works. Actually, I quite like unique names, because it makes the character stand out. Best example: Katniss Everdeen. There’s no mistaking who I mean!
When it worked for me
- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas: Celaena & Chaol
- Legend by Marie Lu: June & Day
- Under the Never Sky by Veronica Ross: Aria is beautiful!
- Splintered by A.G. Howard: Morpheus!
- City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster: Nisha & JERRIT <3
- Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris: Janelle is a pretty name.
- The Ward by Jordana Frankel: Ren & Aven
- Some Quiet Place by Kelsey Sutton: Emotions are people. Fear <3
- Promise of Shadows by Justina Ireland: Zephyr & Whisper (they’re Harpies)
- The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski: Arin & Kestrel
- Death Sworn by Leah Cypess: I love the name Sorin.
- The Wayfarer Redemption Series by Sara Douglass: Zenith (which I named my dog after!), DragonStar & RiverStar, Axis, Azhure, Faraday, Caelum
When it didn’t work for me
- Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick: I like this book, but Patch? Really?
- Divergent by Veronica Roth: Again, I like it, but I hated the names Tris and Tobias.
- Wither by Lauren DeStefano: Rhine makes me think of rind, like pork rind.
- Splintered by A.G. Howard: Jeb. I hate that name!
- The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett: Dusty. I think this is just personal for me because I knew a kid in HS with that name that was an ass to me haha.
- Avalon by Mindee Arnett: Jeth…almost as bad as Jeb
- Uninvited by Sophie Jordan: Davy? For a girl?
- Death Sworn by Leah Cypess: Ileni. I just don’t like it…it has too many vowels or something!
- I’ve never read the Harry Potter books, but I always hated the name Hermione!
What about you guys? Are there any unique fictional names that you love or hate?