See the full list of topics HERE.
Last week’s topic: Celebrity Crushes
Genres I love
- Alternative. This is the genre I listen to the most, with bands like Linkin Park, Theory of a Deadman, and Trapt.
- Electronic & Dubstep. I’ve been branching out lately and listening to some more electronic things. The band that started me on this genre was Pendulum. I also like The Glitch Mob and Madeon. I’m still discovering, though!
- Christian Alternative. I’m not a fan of religious music, but I loooove Christian rock bands like Skillet, Demon Hunter, Icon For Hire, and Family Force 5. They have awesome music with good, uplifting values, without getting preachy. There’s a local station here called RadioU that plays really awesome music. It’s one of my favorite stations!
- Classic Rock. I looove Journey (Separate Ways is my fave!) and some Def Leppard. I enjoy listening to some of the older stuff…especially Journey radio on Spotify!
- Dance. I’m a little more picky about this genre because some of it gets on my nerves, but I freaking adore Lady Gaga. I like Jason DeRulo, too.
- Some Metalcore. As you will find out below, I hate screaming. But, there are some times when it works. Avenged Sevenfold is my favorite band, and while they don’t scream anymore (M. Shadows injured his throat and physically can’t now), my favorite album of theirs has a lot of screaming (Waking the Fallen). But he has a nice screaming voice and it works for me. Atreyu, Bullet for My Valentine, and A Day to Remember are some others that I can handle the screaming. Although, AD2R gets on my nerves sometimes because I don’t like his screaming style, I just looove his singing voice so I put up with it. If I like the singer’s voice enough and there’s less than 25% screaming, I can usually handle it.
- Electronic Rock. I haven’t branched out into this genre much, but I enjoy bands like Muse and Breathe Carolina.
- Classical. Yep, I admit it. I am a huge fan of Mozart! There’s just something relaxing about listening to a concerto!
- Disney Music. This is one of my guilty pleasures! One of my favorite albums to listen to is Rhythm of the Pride Lands :D
- Score music. I don’t listen to much of this, but there are a few really awesome ones: Mainly the Pacific Rim soundtrack. I love that music! Jurassic Park and Pirates of the Caribbean are the other two.
Genres I hate
- Country. This is the main genre I can’t stand to listen to. For some reason all of the girls at work love it, so I’m often subjected to it and it makes me want to blow my brains out. I can’t stand the twang! I do like the old 90’s country, because I grew up on it – artists like Tim McGraw, Shania Twain, Brooks & Dunn, and Garth Brooks. There are a small handful of songs I truly love that are country (LOVE the song Bigger Than the Beatles!), but for the most part I hate the genre. I can’t stand the new crap. The only new country song that’s come out in years that I’ve genuinely like is Sunny & 75. I don’t know why, that song just works for me.
- Rap. There is probably only one or two songs that I actually like. For the most part it just grates on my nerves, and to me it’s not music.
- Death Metal/Black Metal/Thrash Metal. I hate screaming. Bands like Slayer, Lamb of God, and Cradle of Filth…make me want to bash my head into a wall. If there is more than 50% screaming, I probably will not like it. Especially if it’s that real deep scream.
As you can see, I listen to a pretty wide variety of music. I try to keep my mind open when it comes to music and I love finding new bands! I love Spotify (I pay the $9.99 a month for premium, I can listen to anything I want whenever I want with no commercials) because I can set it to a radio station and discover new music. If you missed it, I talked about my favorite bands in the first edition of Life of a Blogger!
Your turn! Make your own post telling everyone about genres of music and link up! I encourage you all to participate ;)
Next week’s topic: If you could live anywhere?