Sadly, there aren’t a whole lot of books I’m super excited about coming out this year :(
I usually have 16 choices and have trouble cutting it down to that! This year I struggled just to pick 12. I’m still excited for all of these, but the only ones that I’m really dying to get my hands on are the first line of books. Weird.
- Empire of the Vampire by Jay Kristoff – A NEW JAY SERIES, YASSSS.
- The Aurora Cycle book 3 by Jay Kristoff & Amie Kaufman – Um, the ending of Aurora Burning killed me a little and I neeeeed to know what happens to my babies thanks.
- The Iron Raven by Julie Kagawa – I love Julie’s books and am super excited for another Iron Fey book! I actually have my hands on this one already but haven’t had the chance to pick it up yet!
- Lore by Alexandra Bracken – this sounds AMAZING! Alex has been kinda hit or miss for me, but I read an excerpt of it and it started out fantastic.
- Tales from the Hinterland by Melissa Albert – I am DYING for this one!! I absolutely adored the twisted tales of the Hinterland and am stoked about having a bound book of those stories.
- Son of the Storm by Suvi Davies Okungbowa – that cover is GORGEOUS and the synopsis sound fantastic, too!
- The Gilded Ones by Namina Forna – this one was quite hyped at YALLfest in 2019 but I didn’t get the chance to get my hands on it. That cover is stunning!
- Dustborn by Erin Bowman – Erin is also hit or miss for me, but I haven’t read a good dystopian in a while so I have high hopes! Love that cover!
- War of Dragons by Jessica Cluess – I only gave House of Dragons 3.5/5, but it stuck with me and I’m excited to see where the story goes in book 2!
- Six Crimson Cranes by Elizabeth Lim – okay so I was severely let down by Spin the Dawn, but I’m a huge sucker for Asian fantasy so I can’t help but be excited about this one! I hope it can redeem Lim for me *crosses fingers*
- The Infinity Files by S.M. Wilson – SPAAAAAACE.
- Witches Steeped in Gold by Ciannon Smart – I’m a little iffy on this one just based on the synopsis (witches & magic are hit or miss for me and it sounds kinda generic without the setting, like another Children of Blood & Bone), but the cover is freaking gorgeous and I’m excited about a Jamaican inspired fantasy!
2021 releases I’ve already read
We Free the Stars by Hafsah Faizal – ★★★★½
Looking back at my most anticipated 2020 releases
- Empire of the Vampire by Jay Kristoff – release date pushed back to 2021 :(
- TRUEL1F3 by Jay Kristoff – ★★★★★
- Aurora Burning by Jay Kristoff & Amie Kaufman – ★★★★★
- Seven Deadly Shadows by Courtney Alameda – ★★★
- House of Dragons by Jessica Cluess – ★★★½
- We Free the Stars by Hafsah Faizal – ★★★★½
- This Vicious Cure by Emily Suvada – ★★★★½
- Forest of Souls by Lori M. Lee – DNF
- Notorious Virtues by Alwyn Hamilton – still haven’t read
- Star Daughter by Shveta Thakrar – DNF (will try again later tho)
- The Seventh Sun by Lani Forbes – still haven’t read
- Seasons of the Storm by Elle Cosimano – still haven’t read
- Burn by Patrick Ness – still haven’t read
- Night of the Dragon by Julie Kagawa – ★★★★★
- Set Fire to the Gods by Kristen Simmons & Sara Raasch – still haven’t read :(
- Don’t Call the Wolf by Aleksandra Ross – still haven’t read
I’m super bummed that I still haven’t read Set Fire to the Gods or Burn. I hope to get to those in 2021! I kinda forgot about Notorious Virtues, which I still want to read, but lost interest in reading all the others. *sighs*
What are YOUR most anticipated 2021 releases? Are there any you’ve already read?