I did alright in August. I had 8 books on my TBR and I read all but three of them (plus two books that wasn’t on there). Not bad!
Books I read in August
- Everland (Everland #1) by Wendy Spinale – DNF
- Vicarious (Vicarious #1) by Paula Stokes – ★★★★
- Metaltown by Kristen Simmons – ★★★★
- Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi – ★★★★
- The Hawkweed Prophecy by Irena Brignull – DNF
- Gemina (The Illuminae Files #2) by Jay Kristoff & Amie Kaufman – ★★★★★+
- Disruption (Disruption #1) by Jessica Shirvington – ★★★★½
Average rating: 4.3, for the books I actually finished
Pages read: 2,414 (2,059 of it in one week lmao)
I wanted to kick some ass for ARC August and knock out ALL my review copies, but it didn’t happen sadly. I ended the month halfway through Like a River Glorious, and didn’t get to Stealing Snow or Cresswell Plot at all. But I still read 5 for ARC August, which is a good majority of my review pile! I was actually WAY behind in the third week of August and Bout of Books helped me catch up. It’s kinda sad, actually – I read 2 books in the first 3 weeks and 5 books in the last week alone XD
I’m kinda sad that the buddy read of Everland didn’t work out, but our buddy read group is planning to try again this month! We just haven’t decided what book to read yet.
- Like a River Glorious by Rae Carson – I’m actually halfway through this one already, because I didn’t get a chance to finish it for ARC August. It’s pretty good so far!
- The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid – After seeing not one but TWO of my book twins (quadruplets lol) – Octavia and Ashley – RAVING about this book, I knew I had to get my hands on it! It sounds absolutely badass and I cannot WAIT to read it!
- Stealing Snow by Danielle Paige – I was SUPER excited for this one originally – the premise sounded interesting, and I loved her short story in Slasher Girls – but then I read Dorothy Must Die, and was kind of disappointed, and now the reviews for this one are REALLY bad. So I have a little trepidation about starting it. I hope I like it…
- The Cresswell Plot by Eliza Wass – This one I’m really on the fence about. I got it unsolicited from the publisher; and not only is it not something I’d usually pick up, it’s also got some pretty bad ratings on Goodreads. I’m not all that interested in reading it, to be honest, but I’ll still give it a try since I kinda feel obligated to.
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo – Okay, so I did NOT like the Grisha books. I still haven’t read the third because I could barely stand the first two (fool me once, you know…I only picked the second up in hopes that it would get better. It did not. I don’t carry high hopes for the third, especially since I got spoiled for it and now I really have no desire to pick it up). I’m kind of leery about this one since it’s in the same world, but I’ve heard it’s WAY better. Also, the book is freakin’ GORGEOUS. I want to put it on my shelf just for the way it looks! Leigh is going to be at YALLfest this year, so I thought I’d give it a try from the library to see if it was worth buying to get signed. Better to know before I spend HOURS in line for her, I’m sure that line will be super long!
- The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh – I have heard nothing but wonderful things about this book, and I’ve been wanting to pick it up for a long time. Renee is going to be at YALLfest as well, and just like Six of Crows, I want to know if this will be worth buying and getting signed before I waste time and money. So it’s just the kick in the butt I need to finally pick it up!
Based on my reading habits as of late (*coughs* lack thereof…), I think 5 1/2 books is plenty for this month. I’ve also got a potential buddy read to add to the list, and I’m still in the middle of Eye of Minds, so there’s also that to consider. Hopefully I won’t be such a lazy reader this month! If Reanna and I get our butts in gear for planning, I’ll also have the Beat the Heat readathon to catch me up (hopefully)!