Looking back at my July TBR, I did pretty darn good!! I had a very ambitious 11 books on my list for July. I got to 8 of those books, and the other three I had reasons for not getting to: I bumped Disruption to this month for ARC August, we decided to start the buddy read of Everland on the 1st, and the buddy read for Star-Touched Queen fell through so I decided not to read it (I kind of lost interest in reading it, honestly).
Books I read in July:
- Soldier (Talon #3) by Julie Kagawa – ★★★★★
- Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicles #1) by Jay Kristoff – ★★★★★+
- City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments #6) by Cassandra Clare – ★★★½
- Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles #4.5) by Marissa Meyer – ★★★½
- Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige – ★★★½
- The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis – ★★★★½
- Air Awakens (Air Awakens #1) by Elise Kova – DNF
- Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken – lost interest
- Lord of the Fading Lands by C.L. Wilson – lost interest
Average rating: 4.2, for the books I actually finished
Pages read: 2,832 (which is funny, last month it was 2,382)
I ran into a MASSIVE reading slump in the last half of the month. I honestly think it was because Nevernight gave me a bit of a book hangover. As you can see, the following books after that didn’t top 4 stars. I might have been a little harsh with the ratings, as I still enjoyed them, but overall I felt kind of disappointed with them. I think Female of the Species may have even been a 5 star read if I hadn’t just read Nevernight, which makes everything else pale in comparison. Then after FotS I couldn’t get into anything. I DNFed Air Awakens because I was not liking it AT ALL, was bored to death with Brightly Woven, and then (sadly, as I was enjoying it in the beginning) lost interest in Lord of the Fading Lands, too. I actually started Eye of Minds by James Dashner and couldn’t get into it, either, but haven’t decided to put it down yet. I may try to finish it in August.
- Gemina by Jay Kristoff & Amie Kaufman – I am SO excited for this book!! I’m on the tour in September, and I cannot WAIT to read it! Illuminae was epic, and I just know the sequel will be too.
- Disruption by Jessica Shirvington – I’ve been wanting to read one of her books for quite a while, and I recently saw this one on EW, and by a publisher I’m auto-approved for. I skipped it at the time, until I saw that Ashley @ Nose Graze (who happens to be one of my book quadruplets) loved it. So I went and downloaded it!
- Stealing Snow by Danielle Paige – I was SUPER excited for this one – the premise sounded interesting, and I loved her short story in Slasher Girls – but then I read Dorothy Must Die, and was kind of disappointed, and now the reviews for this one are REALLY bad. So I have a little trepidation about starting it. I hope I like it…
- The Hawkweed Prophecy by Irena Brignull – I read an excerpt of this book through Buzz Books and found it intriguing, but it bordered on the line of magical realism so I was on the fence (especially after Ava Lavender). But when the pub asked to send me a copy to promote on Instagram, I said yes because I was still intrigued by it. Hopefully it doesn’t disappoint!
- The Cresswell Plot by Eliza Wass – this one I’m really on the fence about. I got it unsolicited from the publisher, and not only is it not something I’d usually pick up, it’s also got some pretty bad ratings on Goodreads. I’m not all that interested in reading it, to be honest, but I’ll still give it a try since I kinda feel obligated to.
- Everland by Wendy Spinale – (buddy read) I got this book in May’s OwlCrate and it looks/sounds intriguing! I posted on Instagram to see if anyone wanted to do a buddy read with me and I got a few responses, so we started August 1st!
Buddy read: (IG) @lettriceinsoffitta, @xobrittpitt, @mybookishlife23, @readers.nook
- Vicarious by Paula Stokes – (for review) I’ve had my eye on this book for quite some time! I usually enjoy Paula’s writing, and this one sounds awesome. I recently got a beautiful finished copy from the publisher, and I’m excited to dive in!
- Eye of Minds by James Dashner – (TBR jar pull) I started this one in July and had trouble getting into it. I’m not even sure I’ll finish it, but I’d still like to try!
8 books isn’t quite as ambitious as 11 was last month, but it’s still pretty high for me. Especially if my reading slump continues. So we will see how it goes!
I love it when a book completely BLOWS YOU AWAY but the book hangover that follows isn’t pretty because nothing seems *that* great after finishing a fantastic novel, which sucks. Good to see that there were some pretty good reads amongst the ones you didn’t finish! I’m looking forward to hearing what you think about STEALING SNOW, because while I did like DOROTHY MUST DIE (for the most part), I’ve only heard mixed things about this one. Happy reading and have a great month :D
You did great! Stars Above and Solider I read and loved. Happy August
Sorry to hear about your slump, however, I’m glad you enjoyed Nevernight so much!
I’ve been a little slumpish myself lately because I know I’ll be going back to work so soon. Like procrastinating on books is going to help with that! I also have been a little ambitious recently, but eight books is still great!
Now I’m nervous on reading Nevernight because I am coming back from two years reading slump, haha. Here’s to hoping. Happy reading! :)