I recently updated my Reviews by Year page to include a section for books I read before the year I started blogging (2011). I was surprised by how many there were (I didn’t think I read that much before I blogged!), but what I was most surprised by was the whopping amount of 5 star books I read back then. So, I started analyzing some rating stats from my reading years and what I came up with was very interesting!
Keep in mind that the “before blogging” stats may not be perfect, because I only wrote the ones I remember. I didn’t include DNFs in that one because DNF wasn’t even in my vocabulary. There were a small handful of books that didn’t catch my interest that I ended up putting down, but it wasn’t a conscious decision of “I’m never finishing this book because it sucks.”
- I rated 32 out of 58 books 5 stars. That’s 55% of the books I read!!
- I only gave 5 of those books a rating below 3 stars (9%)
- I rated 10 out of 59 books 5 stars, or 17%. The number dropped drastically from before blogging!
- I only DNFed one book
- I only gave 9 books a rating below 3 stars (15%)
- The rating I gave the most was 4 stars, with 17 books (29%)
- I rated 21 out of 141 books 5 stars, or 15%. The number is still dropping!
- I DNFed 5 books
- I gave 21 books a rating below 3 stars (15%)
- The rating I gave the most was 4 stars, with 34 books (24%)
- I rated 16 out of 106 books 5 stars, or 15%.
- I DNFed 15 books
- I gave 14 books a rating below 3 stars (13%)
- The rating I gave the most was 4 stars, with 29 books (27%)
- I rated 8 out of 77 books 5 stars, or a pitiful 10%. The number was SO low :(
- I DNFed 12 books
- I gave 13 books a rating below 3 stars (17%)
- The rating I gave the most was 4 stars, with 17 books (22%)
The overall percentage of 5 star books has really dropped over the years. I wonder: Is it because of reading so many, or because of blogging? I’d hate to think that blogging has lessened my enjoyment of the books I read. But, I’d like to think it’s more of the fact that I read so many that it takes a lot more to impress me these days!
The amount of books I’ve DNFed has skyrocketed over the years. I’m wondering if that has made my amount of lower ratings go down, though – I’m not forcing myself through the bad ones, so my overall rating average is higher? (With the exception of this past year, but I think I just enjoyed a lot less books last year.)
I rated more books 4 stars than anything else. That’s a good thing, right? That percentage has pretty much stayed the same, meaning I’m not necessarily enjoying books less, I’m just getting pickier about my 5 star books and letting go of more books I’m not enjoying.