It’s time for another year of the Prequel & Sequel Challenge! Last year I was happy to adopt Melissa @ Writer Grrl Reads as a wonderful co-host, and we’re giving it another go in 2015!
Welcome to the 2015 Sequel & Prequel Challenge, hosted by Novel Heartbeat and Writer Grrl Reads! The goal: To read as many prequels and sequels as you can. You set your goal at whatever number works for you.
- The challenge runs from January 1st to December 31st.
- Any books started before Jan. 1 will not count.
- All books in a series count for points (see below)
- Novellas count, either prequels or sequels (i.e. #0.5, #1.5, #2.5, etc).
- Books can be of any publication date. They don’t have to be released in 2015.
- In order to get 10 points for a completed series, there must be at least 3 full-length books in the series.
- You can still get sequel points for a duology, you just can’t get the 10 bonus points for finishing it.
- Sign-ups will be open until December 1st, 2015.
- To join, add the URL of your challenge post to the linky widget. (If you’d like to wait, it’s ok to use your blog URL and send us your link as soon you get the post up)
- At the end of each quarter (every three months), we will post a linky for you to add your sequel reviews to. The linky will rotate between our blogs on alternate quarters, so you can link up at Novel Heartbeat at the end of March and September, and over at Writer Grrl Reads at the end of June and December. If you have a ton of reviews for the quarter, you can always link to wherever you’re keeping track of your progress. This will make it much easier for us – not only is it less posting, but it will be easier to keep track of how many points everyone has.
- We will try to do some giveaways throughout the year for participants (as long as we can afford it), as well as some mini-challenges and read-alongs … so stay tuned for further details!
- There will be a giveaway at the end of the year for all participants who completed the challenge!
The Point System
For each prequel and sequel read this year, points will be awarded as follows:
- 1 point for each prequel or sequel novella read and reviewed
- 2 points for each full-length sequel read and reviewed
- 10 points for completing and reviewing a full series (doesn’t require novellas)*†
- **You do not get points for the first book in a series
To get points, you must review the book/novella somewhere. If you want to earn points, please link up your reviews at the end of each month, and enter the number of points earned (we will give examples in the linky). Each point earned is an entry into the giveaway at the end of the year for all participants who completed the challenge. So, the more sequels you read, the better your chances of winning the giveaway! Plus, we are also considering one prize for the “overacheiver award” — the person who gets the most points!
*The 10 bonus points is for finishing a full series. That means that all books must be published (unless you got an advance reader copy early). i.e. If you are completely caught up on a series, and the next book is not releasing until 2016 (and you do not have an advance reader copy), that does not count toward the 10 bonus points.
†If you started the series before 2015, you can still get the bonus points for finishing it if you reviewed the other books in the series at some point. For example: You read The Hunger Games in 2014, but read Catching Fire and Mockingjay in 2015 – you would get 2 points for both sequels and 10 bonus points for finishing the series (14 points total). You don’t have to start the series in 2015 to get the bonus points.
So let this year be the year that we stop whining about how many sequels are sitting on our TBRs or cluttering up our shelves! Take control of your reading destinies and sign up to read with us!
Hi Jessi! This sounds like so much fun and a great challenge for a new blogger like me! I can’t wait to start :) Do the books all have to be new to you to count? I ask because I have been planning on rereading a bunch of my favorite series in the next year and review them on my blog, but I can focus on series I haven’t completed (or new ones!) instead :)
Hi Jade! That’s a great question. Yes, I think they can count since you’re still reading a series :)
This looks exciting! Signing up!
[…] Host: The Novel Heartbeat Goal: To read as many prequels and sequels as you can. You set your goal at whatever number works for you. My personal aim 10 books! […]
I can’t tell you how many series I have started that I still need to finish. One question. I have a couple of series where I have dipped my toe in the middle – like gotten an ARC of book 3 of 5 or something like that. So, #3 would have been read pre-2015. Would I think give myself points for 2, 4, 5 and finishing the series?
Hi LuAnn! Hmm, I think as long as you don’t count the very first book you read from the series (no matter which number it may be), any other book in the series should count! So, you read #3 first, then if you read #1 after that, book #1 can still count for 2 points because it was technically the second book you read in the same series, even if they weren’t in consecutive order. Great question!
I really want to read as many series as I can in 2015. I’m so behind! Thanks for hosting :D
[…] decided to participate in the 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge, hosted by Novel Heartbeat and Writer Grrl Reads. I love reading series and I thought this […]
[…] them. Or even at getting close to finishing them in some cases. That’s why I need the 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge hosted by Novel Heartbeat and Writer Grrl Reads from January 1 – December 31, 2015. The rules […]
[…] Finish every series you’ve ever started with Socrates’ Book Reviews Finish the Series Challenge and Somewhere Only We Know’s Series Ender Challenge, or read all the prequels and sequels with Novel Heartbeat’s Prequel and Sequel Challenge. […]
This sounds like a great challenge for me as I have quite a few series to finish off this year.
~Tizzy @ Creative Therapy
Just signed up and super excited. I’ve got a number of series I plan to finish and also start in 2015 so I think I can achieve my goal! Good luck to everyone else.
I was looking for a challenge to give me a push at all those series that needs to be completed, this challenge will be perfect and hopefully a lot of fun.
Cant wait to get started :D
One question, my blog is mostly in Swedish but when it comes to reviews I usually try to have at least a couple of words in English as well. Will that do or do I need to write the entire review in English?
Thanks for joining! Nope, you can feel free to write in whatever language you desire. If need be, we can use Google Translate :)
[…] 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge is hosted by Novel Heartbeat and Writer of Grrl Reads. I will be using the hashtag #2015PSC on Twitter, and you can track my […]
Hi Jess! I signed up a while ago #20 (Her Reviews of Books, Movies, and Everything.) But I have changed my blog name and URL. So I have linked up a new one to my new blog. (My Bookish Itinerary). I didn’t know how to delete the old link.
Sorry for the confusion!
And I am really excited about this challenge! :D
All fixed, thank you!
[…] Prequel and Sequel Challenge – 2/30 points (for Ruin and Rising) […]
[…] one intends to make you read all your unfinished series from start to end! It is being hosted by Novel Heartbeat and Writer Grrl. The rules are as it […]
Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all folks you really understand
what you’re speaking approximately! Bookmarked.
Please also consult with my site =). We can have a hyperlink trade
arrangement between us
It’s nearly impossible to find well-informed people in this particular topic,
but you sound like you know what you’re talking about!
) there was a burst of hymn writing surrounding these events.
These harmonics always present to varying degrees
within all notes, and their proportions help to give sounds
their unique color or tone. Make sure you check on whether or not the music or subscription service you’re paying
for has specific rules regarding DRM.