I originally found this test over at Tempest Books (thanks for sharing, Miranda!), and thought it was so awesome I wanted to do a full post about my own results. I’ve always wondered how my reading speed compared to other readers! I know that I can finish a 300 page book in roughly 3 hours on average, but it was very interesting to see it broken down. Without further ado…
(The first time I took the test I got 513 with 100% accuracy. The excerpt it gave me made absolutely NO sense, and I think that slowed me down! The second time, coincidentally, was Alice in Wonderland.)
I’m kind of proud of the fact that I read faster than most average adults. XD
What REALLY ticks me off? Of course I have the eReader with the lowest battery life (Kindle Fire). Of course.
And now for the cool part…
Maintaining that speed, here’s how long it would take me to read:
- War & Peace (1,392 pages) = 15 hrs 15 min, or 1.52 pgs/min
- Harry Potter & the Sorcerer’s Stone (310 pgs) = 2 hrs, or 2.5 pgs/min
- Lord of the Rings (1,178 pgs) = 12 hrs 25 min, or 1.58 pgs/min
- Catch 22 (453 pgs) = 4 hrs 31 min, or 1.67 pgs/min
- 1984 (326 pgs) = 2 hrs 19 min, or 2.35 pgs/min
- The Fountainhead (720 pgs) = 8 hrs 5 min, 1.49 pgs/min
- Grapes of Wrath (496 pgs) = 4 hrs 24 min, or 1.88 pgs/min
- Last of the Mohicans (410 pgs) = 3 hrs 47 min, or 1.8 pgs/min
- A Tale of Two Cities (489 pgs) = 3 hrs 31 min, or 2.31 pgs/min
- Adventures of Huck Finn (180 pgs) = 2 hrs 51 min, or 1.05 pgs/min
- Wuthering Heights (464 pgs) = 2 hrs 48 min, or 2.76 pgs/min
- To Kill a Mockingbird (324 pgs) = 2 hrs 34 min, or 2.1 pgs/min
- Catcher in the Rye (277 pgs) = 1 hr 54 min, or 2.42 pgs/min
- The Color Purple (295 pgs) = 1 hr 44 min, or 2.84 pgs/min
- All Quiet on the Western Front (296 pgs) = 1 hr 36 min, or 3.1 pgs/min
- Lord of the Flies (182 pgs) = 1 hr 33 min, or 1.96 pgs/min
- Slaughterhouse Five (215 pgs) = 1 hr 17 min, or 2.8 pgs/min
- Adventures in Wonderland (92 pgs) = 41 min, or 2.24 pgs/min
- Wizard of Oz (156 pgs) = 1 hour, or 2.6 pgs/min
- War of the Worlds (192 pgs) = 1 hr 34 min, or 2.08 pgs/min
- The Bible (1,590 pgs) = 20 hrs 11 min, or 1.31 pgs/min
Average pages/min = 2.11
Pretty cool, right? (Not that I would WANT to read most of these, and many of these I was forced to read in HS and either hated it *coughcough*CatcherintheRye*cough* or didn’t actually read it because I just couldn’t do it *coughcough*GrapesofWrath*cough*) And honestly, if the book is seriously boring, it would make that time double!
Looking at the times vs. pages some seem a little off. My pages per minute vary from 1 to 3, depending on the book. I don’t know if the actual word count or the word size plays a part in that or not. It’s sad that I could finish the first Harry Potter in 2 hours and I still haven’t read it….
Basically, if I had the time (and the attention span, ha) to dedicate even 3 hours per day to reading, I could knock out 250+ books a year. Wouldn’t that be something?!
[Related: How long it takes to read the world’s most popular books (based on the average person’s reading speed) HOLY CRAP GAME OF THRONES HOLY CRAP]