What makes me follow a blog?
1. The design. I’m ashamed to admit that this is my number one thing. If I’m attracted to the design, I’m probably going to follow no matter what the content is. I’m a shallow creature, what can I say? I like simple, clean designs with very minimal sidebars.
2. Same tastes in books. If a blogger reads almost all of the same books I do, I’m more likely to follow. If they read a bunch of stuff I’ve never heard of, I’m probably not going to be interested in following. Also, if I see that they rate things very similarly, I’m guaranteed to stalk them on all social media!
3. I talk to the person on Twitter. Sometimes I have random conversations on Twitter with people I don’t know, and it sparks a friendship. Sometimes I don’t even know about the person’s blog until the conversation, but if I enjoy talking to them, I’ll follow for sure! There’s a select few blogs that I follow despite the differences in genres we read because I love the blogger.
4. Good discussions. I love discussion posts, and if the blog posts good ones then I’ll follow no matter what the rest of their content is.
5. Rant reviews. I love love looove reading rants! If the blogger is sarcastic, I’ll totally stalk the hell outta them ;)
What makes me NOT follow a blog?
1. The design. If I think the design is ugly, I’m not going to want to look at it. Therefore, I’m probably not going to follow. It’s horrible, it really is, but I can’t help it. Especially if the blog hurts my eyes. If I can’t read the posts without feeling like my eyes are going to bleed, I’m not going to bother following. I don’t like white text on a dark background. I don’t have the best eyesight, so it actually hurts. It gives me a headache in a matter of minutes. Other reasons: If the colors are obnoxious, or don’t match, or if the fonts are too hard to read or too small.
2. Captcha. I do not want to try 3 times before leaving a comment. If you have Captcha, I’m probably never going to attempt to comment again. It’s just too difficult.
3. Cluttered sidebars. I hate having to scroll for ages to find something. Not to mention it slows down the load time. If the blog doesn’t load quickly, I leave. I’m impatient >.<
4. Bad behavior. If I see that the blogger is constantly getting involved in needless drama, or overreacts, or is rude for no reason, I’m going to blacklist them. Stay away, stay faaar away!
5. Too many memes. I hate memes. If I see more than 2 different memes that the blogger participates in, I probably won’t follow. I like Top Ten Tuesday, but I’m not a fan of Waiting on Wednesday and I no longer care about Follow Friday so I’ll probably never read those posts.
6. Strictly positive reviews. If a blog ONLY posts 4 and 5 star reviews, I question their credibility. Who likes EVERYTHING they read? That just doesn’t make sense to me. I followed one blog in particular that literally never rated anything below 3 stars, and even a 3 star rating was rare. So every time I went to open up a post labeled as a review, I already knew what it would say: “I liked it.” In more words, but still. I didn’t even bother reading them anymore. I like reviews that point out the good AND the bad!
What about you? What makes you follow a blog? What makes you NOT follow a blog?