Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl
I don’t get to talk about my two favorite subgenres very often, so I thought today’s genre freebie post was a great chance! I am a huge fan of fantasy and sci-fi, and it’s what I predominantly read. I also adore High Fantasy and seem to gravitate toward that (even though a lot of it is generic anymore and I have trouble finding really great ones). However, my absolute FAVORITE subgenres are Space Sci-fi (especially space horror! but those are few and far between) and Japanese Fantasy – although I love and seek out any Asian Fantasy.
Fave space sci-fi
- The Red Rising Saga by Pierce Brown – This is one of my all time favorite series! Also, the Iron Gold audio is one of my all time fave audiobooks. And the more I re-read these books, the more I love them!
- The Illuminae Files by Jay Kristoff & Amie Kaufman – Gemina is my fave, so I picked that one! Also some of my fave audio!
- The Aurora Cycle by Jay Kristoff & Amie Kaufman – I can’t decide which one is better, Aurora Rising or Aurora Burning. They were both epic! Again, fave audio!
- Skyward & Starsight by Brandon Sanderson – I can’t decide which one of these is better, either! They are very different for being in the same series, but equally epic!
- The Honors series by Ann Aguirre & Rachel Caine – The first two books were better than the third, but overall the series is fantastic and unique! Book two is my fave of the series.
- Sanctuary by Caryn Lix – Space horror!! Like I said, those are hard to find. And this one was suuuper creepy, yaaasss. The second book was not great, though. Recommend just reading the first one.
- The Across the Universe trilogy by Beth Revis – This was probably one of my first ever space sci-fi books! So good!
I am a HUGE fan of Japanese culture! I wish there were more books in Japanese fantasy. They’re super hard to find!
- The Lotus War trilogy by Jay Kristoff – Anyone who knows anything about me knows that this is my favorite series, EVER. I am madly in love with this series and will forever recommend it to anyone and everyone because it’s my goal in life to get as many people to read it as possible before I die. Nothing will ever compare to this series!
- Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh – Okami my baby! I love the romance (which is rare for me), and of course the world is fantastic. The second book was super disappointing, though – recommend only reading the first.
- Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa – It’s basically Inuyasha in book form, it’s fantastic! The audiobooks are good, too. I was disappointed with the second book, but the third was epic and I loved the ending of the series!
I also read Seven Deadly Shadows, which wasn’t as good as I was hoping, but the world and culture were still fantastic!
What are YOUR fave subgenres? If you’ve read any other space sci-fi or Japanese fantasy not mentioned, I’d love to hear recs!