*rubs hands together* I just so happen to have a note saved in my phone where I keep a running list of all the pet names I love, and there’s a ton of bookish names on there!
- Grimalkin from The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa. This is on the very top of my list, and I’ve been on the lookout for a long-haired gray male kitten ;)
- Buruu from The Lotus Wars trilogy by Jay Kristoff. MY FAVORITE CHARACTER EVER.
- Abraxos from the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas. He is one of my favorite parts of the Throne of Glass series (really one of the only parts left I like), and the name is badass too! If my snake, Saphira, had been a male, that would have been her name. Maybe in the future I’ll get a male snake!
- Jerrit from City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster. One of my favorite characters, and also already a cat so it’s perfect!
- Mr. Kindly from Nevernight by Jay Kristoff. It’s kind of a weird name for a pet, but it’s also awesome. And again, already a cat (well, not-cat), so perfect!
- DragonStar from The Wayfarer Redemption series by Sara Douglass. I need a DragonStar to go with my RiverStar :D (They were siblings!)
- Padfoot from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. The only issue with this is that I don’t like male dogs and don’t ever want to own one. But if I did, this is what I would name it!
- Riot from Riders by Veronica Rossi. I LOVE this name so much! For a cat, it’s spunky and adorable at the same time. (And probably would doom me to having the most ornery kitty ever)
- Brimstone from Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. Because it’s a badass name!
- Fawkes from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. Although I can see this being a problem with people thinking I’m calling him “Fox.”
- Axis, Niah, WolfStar, & StarDrifter from The Wayfarer Redemption series by Sara Douglass. Since I already have two named after the series! Axis is my favorite of these. I love WolfStar, and I could call him Wolf for short :D Niah is iffy because I’ve seen a few dogs named “Nia” already and I feel like no one would spell it correctly. I like StarDrifter’s name a lot, but it would be tricky for a pet because StarDrifter is a male and the shortened version is Star, which sounds too girly for a boy.
- Karou from Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
- Madox from Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott
- Pax from Red Rising by Pierce Brown
- Morpheus from Splintered by A.G. Howard. Problem: being mistaken for a Matrix fan
Bonus: Pets I have!
Since we’re on the subject of pets named after characters, I thought I’d share mine! All of my pets but my oldest cat, Oreo, are named after characters from books and movies!
- Luna (DSH, black) – Originally she was named after the black kitty in Sailor Moon, because I got her before I read/watched Harry Potter. But since Luna Lovegood is one of my fave HP characters, I just say it’s both now :D
- Gizmo (DSH, gray tabby) – named after Gremlins. He is my special kitty, too! <3
- Orion (DSH, orange & white tabby) – because he looks JUST like Orion from Men in Black!
- Saphira (ball python) – She’s a snake, of course I had to name her after a dragon.
- RiverStar (DMH, orange tabby) – She’s bitchy just like RiverStar from the book, too. But we love Miss River!
- Zenith (border collie mix) – I just love this name! Nobody gets it, though. Everyone thinks I’m calling her Xena. (Although I did have one person ask if I named her after the TV brand *eye roll*)
- And then there’s Oreo, who is obviously name after….yep, you guessed it, an Oreo. Bet you can’t guess what color he is. (I WAS YOUNG AND UNORIGINAL DON’T JUDGE ME.)