Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl
This week’s topic is things that make me pick up a book! Here are things I look for:
- A gorgeous cover. Let’s face it, I’m a shallow creature. If the cover is pretty enough it doesn’t even need a synopsis.
- Fave genres. If the book is one of my preferred genres, I’m definitely adding it to my TBR list at the very least. High fantasy and sci-fi are my faves, but I’m also super likely to add steampunk, grimdark, dystopian, and Arabian fantasy. Extra extra bonus points if it’s Asian Fantasy!
- Fave authors. Obviously if it’s written by an author I’ve read before and trust to write a masterpiece, I’m going to pick it up. Likely buy it, too! Examples: Jay Kristoff, Julie Kagawa, Karen Marie Moning, Laini Taylor, Pierce Brown.
- Space. I’m such a sucker for space stories. Bonus points if it’s a space horror!
- Dragons. You literally don’t even have to say anything else. Sign me TF up.
- Recommended by a trusted friend. There are a select few friends who can rave about a book and it will make me instantly want to pick a book up. The main example is Christy (@cbookaddiction) because she is literally my book twin and we agree on books 99% of the time!
- Hype, oops. I always fall for it. ALWAYS.
- An explosive beginning. Bonus points if it grabs me right in the first page. A great example of this that I read recently is Stain by A.G. Howard!
- A really unique premise. If it sounds like something I’ve never read before, I’ll definitely be picking it up. Example: Storm Crow: Magical elemental crows and people who ride them. (Sadly it fell flat, but it sure AF sounded unique and intriguing!)
- Retellings. I am such a sucker for retellings, especially if it’s faves like Beauty and the Beast and Mulan!
Do you agree with any of these? What makes YOU pick up a book?